The City of Parker, a TYPE A General Law City that operates on a Mayor-Council form of government, is seeking a resident focused City Administrator who will adhere to the City’s core values. A dynamic, innovative professional with a documented record of leadership and comprehensive knowledge of city administration, governmental finances and budgeting and strategic planning is needed. Outstanding skills in supervision and oral/written communication along with the ability to interact with elected officials in developing policies and procedures that evolve with the City as well as in creative problem solving are desired. Applicant must be a citizen of the United States.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Direct department heads by providing overall priorities and objectives. Monitor activities of the entire City organization and assure that the directives of the City Council are properly implemented and followed.
2. Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; with Council approval, interview and select employees and approve transfers, reassignment, terminations and disciplinary actions.
3. Coordinate preparation of the city budget for council approval; provide for proper monitoring of the budget on an on-going basis.
4. Assist council members with a variety of activities, providing leadership and information as requested; assist council members in drafting policies, facilitating the development of city plans, regulations and ordinances; attend council meetings.
5. Maintain close contact with community groups to represent the City of Parker; develop community relations programs and policies; represent the city to neighboring jurisdictions, government bodies and news media; meet with citizens to review and resolve customer service and other issues.
6. Communicate with state and federal officials and legislators to present the city’s viewpoint on pending administrative or legislative actions as approved by Council.
7. Assure the financial soundness and integrity of the city to assure its capability to meet commitments and to maximize the delivery of services to citizens.
8. Meet with representative of agencies and outside entities to negotiate formal and informal agreements between city, state and county governments and private interests as issues arise.
9. Provide leadership and direction in such areas as major projects and long-range capital programs.
10. Occasional evening or variable hours to attend meetings.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures.
Participate in proactive team efforts to achieve city goals.
Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge and skills.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Receives general guidance and direction from Mayor and City Council with respect to overall objectives; work is usually independent; operates within city policy and ordinances using independent judgement in achieving objectives.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Completion of TCMA Effective Local Government Series or certification as a public manager and five years experience as a city administrator in a general law city or combination of city administrator/general law city and upper management position in a home rule city.Equivalent combination of experience and education can be considered.
Ability to prioritize, organize and delegate work.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret complex documents.
Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
Maintain confidentiality of politically sensitive materials and information.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, employees and the general public.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics.
Ability to define problems, collect data/information and draw valid conclusions.
Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Email.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED.
The City of Parker is an Equal Opportunity Employer.